Change Designby David King
Six-step cycle for planning change
Whether your planned change is transformational and organisation-wide or focused on one area of your business organisation or service, these six steps are equally applicable:
- Explore all the possible (relevant) future scenarios, using the tools in this topic
- Test and validate the scenarios that best represent the target for change
- Compare the target for change with the current state to see what is missing
- Specify the changes needed to get you to your target (destination, in other words) in the most cost-effective and productive way possible, with maximum benefits and minimum risk
- Optimise – don’t worry if you don’t get it right first time; you can always backtrack and try another scenario that works better or has a more attractive return on investment
- Agree – continue until you gain a genuine consensus across all key stakeholders.
The tools and techniques outlined on the following pages will help you to build a clear picture of the changes required to transform your organisation or business area.