Action Learningby Steve Roche
Personal experiences from Action Learning
- That a group of people provides great support and increases the chances of success
- That the fears, worries and concerns I have as an individual are shared by all other people
- That when someone has the strength to talk over a situation, my understanding and empathy is driven by my own experience.
- By listening to someone else talk through their fears, I can gain as much wisdom and release as the owner of the problem. It has reinforced the bond that means we are human – that my fears are everyone’s fears.
Only by active questioning in response to what is said can full understanding be achieved and progress towards a solution maintained.
- We all have the answers to our issues within; it’s totally inspiring to allow such answers to surface. Getting control of my career again. If I can’t do, I ask; if I ask the wrong person, I’ll find another person or another resource. Previously I scurried away thinking I was going about it all wrong.
- Positive reactions from my group, since I’m more involved and interested in helping them in the way the Action Learning Set has helped me.
- It’s amazing the power of having five or six intelligent minds focused 100 per cent on your issue. The questions-only approach is such a successful technique and must be tried to be believed. We all have the answers to our issues within; it’s totally inspiring to allow such answers to surface.
Action Learning has become more like a philosophy to me, something I use in all my activities. I challenge myself all the time... why? for what reason? Be positive – there is an answer! I have also suffered pain emotionally, going through change myself within the organisation. We cannot be divorced from it; if we affect it, it must affect us, touch us
Helping people to solve problems is a gift for the helpers and the problem holder. The thought processes are invaluable for every-day problems. Action Learning equips me with life-tools. It’s an oasis of calm thought in an increasingly hectic world.